Brother, Disabled Iraq Vet being told he owes $130k
New to reddit, not sure how this works, but I could use some guidance. My brother served in Iraq, disabled, collecting SSI and disability benefits for 8 years was just notified that he needs to repay $130k. Below is a summary of his history. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance.
- June 15 2004 – got orders to report to Ft. Drum to mobilize for Operation Iraqi Freedom
- November 2004 – deployed to Kuwait
- January 2005 – convoyed into Iraq
- April 2 2005 – 82mm mortar round exploded 30m in front of me, causing head trauma which resulted in a diagnosis of TBI.
- October 2005 – traveled to Kuwait and flew home to US
- Took leave and then went back to work
- Had residual effects from injuries sustained while deployed in Iraq, sought medical treatment with the VA.
- VA acknowledged and treated injuries
- September 2008, discharged from National Guard by medical review board (still working as technician), and National Guard initiated termination paperwork thereafter.
- State HR directed me to immediately seek Social Security benefits as a first step, and once I was denied paperwork could go forward so I could be retired through the Federal Employee Retirement System under special circumstances.
- Accepted by FERS under special circumstances in November 2008.
- Employment with National Guard terminated by employer on November 15, 2008 as a result of losing military membership.
- Social Security granted May 2009
- Was never contacted by FERS to announce a reduction in payments and had no way of knowing that an overage was being incurred.
- FERS sent a letter in September 2016 asking for me to return a form stating my election in relation to your health insurance coverage.
In December 2016, I received a letter from FERS seeking to collect over $130k in overages.
Over 25 years of service
Served in Iraq, Germany, Korea
Recognized as 100% disabled, totally and permanently – no possibility of securing income from employment.