I work night shifts at an Army entrance gate and I’ve seen some weird stuff.

A little backstory first: I'm in the army and I'm stationed in the south. Cryptic, right? Operational Security (OPSEC) and all that for my own safety. Now, how did I get stuck working a shift that's 1800-0600(6:00pm-6:00am)? Simple, I don't like going to the field and any time away from my unit is a vacation, so I volunteered. In all actuality, the job is cake. All we do is check to make sure that people that can come in can come in, and those that can't can't. By we, I mean me and a Law Enforcement Officer(LEO). We sit in a guard shack for twelve hours and try not to fall asleep. Pretty simple job. For some reason, one saying from our training has always stuck out to me: Nothing good happens after midnight.

Some of the examples of this: drunks, homeless guys trying to get on and steal shit, and that date the barracks soldiers try to pick up on Tinder. (You know, the kinds that look like a trolls ugly cousin.) I can deal with this shit all night long, no problem. What they fail to tell you in training, is that weird shit happens after midnight too.

One of my first nights working the gate was with and older LEO that had been in for almost ten years and was getting ready to get out of the army. So, of course, I was the one doing all the work since I was a new guy. It was in the young hours of the morning when a car starts coming our way. I put on my cap and step out of the booth as the car starts rolling up. The headlights are bright as hell so I can't see inside the vehicle until it comes to a stop next to me. Confusingly, the goddamn car was empty, not a single person inside. At first I thought it was a prank the LEO was having his buddies pull on me to break me in. I turn to look into the guard shack and see the LEO ashen white, mouth agape, staring dumbly at the vehicle. This raises some red flags in my book. I turn back around to the empty idling car and watch as it slowly pulls off in a cloud of exhaust. I turn back around to the LEO and ask him if we should radio it up. He slowly shakes his head and looks me dead in the eye with a super serious look on his face and tells me to never tell anyone about the car. The LEO ended up getting an early discharge for mental health issues. I asked another LEO on a different shift of mine if he had ever seen anything like the empty driving car. He gets very serious and shakes his head slightly. We sit in silence for awhile before he quietly tells me that they come through on occasion. He explains his theory that they are the cars belonging to fallen service members who were never returned home; and that their cars, after years of neglect, will pick up the detached soul and transport the soul back to work.

Another time, about four months into it, the clock had just rolled past midnight on a very foggy night, and I saw a vehicle's headlights cut through the dense fog coming at us. I stand up and step out of our guard shack as the headlights grow closer. As the vehicle approaches, I notice that the headlights are very big eyed and are attached to a car straight out of the 40's. It's very odd to see such a well restored car like this around this post. When the car pulled up, it looked like it had just driven right off the showroom floor of a Ford dealership. The people inside were the same way. The service member inside was dressed in an old officers dress uniform from WWII with a female beside him to match. The man and I exchanged looks that we're of confusion. He looked like he didn't know what to make of my digital camo, and I didn't know what to make of his uniform. He passed me his ID card and I took it without thinking. My LEO called from inside the shack to let them through and to salute them and to not ask questions. I returned the ID and saluted him. Confused, he took back his ID, returned my salute, and drove off into the fog. Stunned and full of questions, I returned to the guard shack. My LEO explained to me that on a foggy night, after celebrating a bit too hard, a young lieutenant and his wife got lost trying to return to their house. The LEO said he didn't know if the lieutenant was simply swallowed by the fog and he still trying to find his way home or if he actually died that night but he still shows up on occasion on foggy nights.

That's all I have for tonight. I'll post some more weird stuff that I've seen tomorrow night since I just got off and need some sleep.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: